General Guidelines for Reimbursement
- Follow the instructions on this page carefully. If not, your reimbursement may be delayed or we will be unable to process it. If in doubt, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Most of the restrictions on what we can and cannot purchase/reimburse come from the Student Activities Office and are non-negotiable. Make yourself aware of these by reviewing this page BEFORE purchasing MITOC items, and do not ask the treasurer to try to skirt these rules.
- To get reimbursed, you must submit i) an itemized receipt and ii) proof of payment. Proof of payment can be a listed credit card on the receipt or as “Balance=$0”, “Paid”, etc. If proof of payment is not present, a statement with everything except the transaction and your name can be accepted.
- KEEP ALL RECEIPTS UNTIL REIMBURSED!!! If you do not have proof of payment, you CANNOT be reimbursed. As of February 2018, physical receipts DO NOT need to be submitted for non-travel expenses.
- For Amazon orders, you must submit the final order details, which are itemized and have proof of payment. This can be found under Your Account » Your Orders » Invoice AFTER the order has shipped.
- Avoid cash.
- All receipts should be in USD. If not, include screenshots of official conversions to USD.
- Tip can be reimbursed with proof of payment.
- Sales tax cannot be reimbursed; however, purchases made on MIT’s behalf can be exempted from sales tax. Use the forms here (MIT certificates required) if vendors require proof of exemption.
- DO NOT pay more than $1000 for computers/software, or $5000 for other items. Large purchases must be made with requisitions. Email email@example.com prior to placing large orders.
- If you are paying a single individual (e.g. a speaker), you may need the payee to fill out a W-9 form ahead of time.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Get Reimbursed
- Fill out this form. Remember to subtract sales tax if included.
- Ensure you have i) an itemized receipt and ii) proof of payment. Proof of payment, if not on the itemized receipt, can be a credit/debit card statement with everything except your name and the transaction in question removed.
- If you have physical receipts, write your name on the receipt(s) and scan a digital copy. Ensure size of each image is <2 MB.
- Follow the specific directions below:
Email both the leader coordinator and email@example.com listing the course you will be reimbursed for. Then follow the directions on this page for “Other non-travel” that applies to you.
Ensure you have access to Concur. If travel did not involve any personal vehicle mileage:
- Fill out the report using the MITOC cost object/account: 2720209. Attach copies of all receipts, but DO NOT SUBMIT YET.
- Generate a Detailed Report with Allocation Summary from the Print/Email dropdown and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Treasurer will reply with a signed approval form, which should then be attached to Concur report and submitted.
Personal mileage can be reimbursed using Concur, however, that reimbursement rate is determined by MIT (~$0.54/mi). Email email@example.com before requesting reimbursement for personal mileage to ensure correct rate is used.
- Go to Atlas and click on “Full Catalog.” Under “My Reimbursements,” select “Request a Reimbursement for Me.”
- Fill out the RFP (“Request for Payment”), leaving the G/L Account and Cost Object values empty. Include a description of the expense and if it came out of a discretionary budget. For food reimbursements, include what it was for and roughly how many MIT students/affiliates/others attended. In the amount box, be sure to subtract sales tax for all items.
NOTE: If you have multiple receipts, you can submit them all on the same RFP. Click “Add Line” to add other items.
- Click Save & Continue
- Add a scanned image of the itemized receipt(s) and proof of payment. If the receipt does not have proof of payment, a statement with everything but the name and transaction whited out is acceptable (but not preferred).
- Using the button on the RFP page, send the RFP to the current treasurer (see the list of current BOD members if you aren’t sure who that is)
Email receipt(s) scan(s) (itemized and with proof of payment) to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with:
- A description of what reimbursement is for. If reimbursement request is for food for a meeting, include roughly how many MIT students/affiliates/others attended
- A mailing address for the check